Wednesday 20 November 2013

THE PERFUME COUNTER

Starting this series with my time in Thailand. On a press trip with ten other journalists. We are here for quite a few publications.   The lifestyle is wonderful, the pay is painful but I meet such interesting colourful people. The group are Italians, French, German, psuedo American (they learnt English in America or have stayed in America which gives them an American disposition for voice level at all times), and there's four English, and everyone behaving to stereotype sort of.

This is one place I don't need or want to smell sweeter than it is. It is already beautiful and fragrant even on grey days.   The image of the elephant is present everywhere from being cut into intricate topiary in the gardens of great hotels, to silk purses, to jade charms, an image of strength and resilience although there are now over fifty sanctuaries trying to save the animals from poachers and lack of forest.  The animals don't even have tusks and as far as I know eating elephant isn't good for your skin or health.

The itinerary is well paced but the jet lag painful.  But I write and work juggling as I always do when I travel.   Tom is loving it, seeing the difference between the holiday and the travel experience in every step.




No comments:

Post a Comment